Adoption Ain't for the Faint-Hearted... Just the Big-Hearted.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Adoption Books for Children

Great adoption books for children are hard to come by. Sure, you can find a list of dozens and dozens of children's books on the topic on-line, but actually finding these books in your local bookstore or library is a rarity. This fact was made more clear this month, as we contacted our local libraries and asked them to do adoption book displays for National Adoption Month. In order to create and maintain even a small display, libraries often had to combine their adoption related books with books on foster care, parenting, or in another FSA chapter, pet adoption. While all are important topics to spotlight, the demand to have resources available regarding the topic of adoption is clearly greater than what is provided.

Luckily, there are some great books that I have been blessed to find that I would recommend adding to (or as you start) your adoption library:

1. Tell Me Again About the Night I was Born, by Jamie Lee Curtis


2. God Found Us You, by Lisa Tawn Bergren

The following books never mention the word "adoption," but are all excellent at teaching the truth that we do not need to look alike to be a family or to love each other. These are not only great books for adoptive families, but for all families, to teach children to value and respect our differences.

3. A Mother for Choco, by Keiko Kasza

4. I Don't Have Your Eyes, by Carrie A. Kitze

6. Red or Blue, I Like You, Seasme Street. I found this in the dollar bins at Target.

7. The Rainbow Zebra. My mother found this at a garage sale, but I have seen it sold on Etsy sites, just google it:)


8. All the Colors of the Earth, by Sheila Hamanaka


I am a mother of a transracial family. I have two adoptive boys, and the oldest is almost three. He loves all of these books. I have been able to have very tender, heartfelt, age appropriate conversations with him about adoption, his birth mom, and his beautiful skin and curly hair as a result of reading these stories to him at bedtime. I hope they will be a blessing to your families as well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! With Christmas around the corner our little one will be getting a few of these!

    ReplyDelete