Adoption Ain't for the Faint-Hearted... Just the Big-Hearted.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Day in the Life- Transracial Adoption

This is a blog post from the personal blog of FSA board member, Erin Packard, as shared during the "Transracial Adoption" class in June.

What Does Your Skin Say?
Today we had some family over to enjoy the pool. The older kids were in the big pool with Auntie Kim, and I was hanging out with Carson in the kiddie pool. There was one other child in the kiddie pool, a little girl, probably two years old. She was with her father. I noticed that he was covered in tattoos. I really did not give him or his tattoos much thought. He seemed to be having a good time with his little girl and that was that. However, at one point he turned around and I saw that one of the tattoos on his back said, "White Pride." Now, any other time in my life I would have just chalked that up to ignorance and gone on my merry way. But this time was different. This time I was in the pool with Carson. This time my heart broke. This time I was filled with questions and anger and fear.
I do not ever recall being a victim of racism. I have, however, been discriminated against. I know what it felt like to be treated differently because I was overweight, and what was even harder to swallow was the way some people treated me when I was thin again. I know what it is like to ask questions to someone and have them respond to my husband because he is clearly the more intelligent species. Yet, I am certain those uncomfortable circumstances pale in comparison to what it must feel like to be treated "less than" solely because of the color of your skin.
During the adoption process, we filled out a form stating which ethnicity we were willing to accept. As much as I ALWAYS wanted a little black boy, this was not a decision we made lightly. Before Carson was ever thought of, we had discussed the ramifications of having a mixed race family. Once we knew that Carson's birth father was black, we continued our discussions more intently. What issues would arise? Would kids treat him differently? What race would he identify with? When issues/discussions of slavery, race, and racism inevitably arise, how will we possibly be able to truly empathize with him? After many nights of pillow talk, prayer, and visits to the Temple, we felt very comfortable with our decision to accept children of other races into our family. And really, the "accepting them" part wasn't the issues, as much as was our need for confirmation that we, as a family, would be able to overcome whatever obstacles we may face as we potentially became a multi-race family.
So along came Carson, our perfect miracle. And as weird as it sounds, sometimes I forget that he is adopted and that he is half black. I just look at him and see my child. But not today. Not in the pool. Not when "White Pride" is staring me in the face. Not when my little tan-man is singing and dancing happily with his little fro bouncing side to side on his huge head. Not when he does not know that the nice man behind him has already categorized him, has judged him, has hated him. No, today I remembered vividly that what Carson's skin says to me is eerily very different from what it says to others. And what that man's skin says to me, in hideous bold lettering, is that we may have some very big hurdles to face down the road.
But for now, I am going to try and take my cues from Carson, who did not seem to notice a thing, and willingly shared his song and dance and sweet smiles with that man, as freely as he did everyone else.

3 comments:

  1. The only thin I can hope for that man is that because Carson was so friendly and loving towards him somehow his heart will be softened. And maybe he will think twice about why it is he hates someone just because of the color of their skin.

    Katrina
    Carlene's soon to be momma :)
    www.operationorphannomore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so I know this my comment may not be taken well and maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate but it doesn't sound like this man outwardly said or did anything racist. Nor was "I hate blacks" written on his back. It was "white pride." A Hispanic individual with "brown pride" tatted on his arm wouldn't necessarily be categorized as a hateful racist - merely an ethnic individual "proud" of his heritage. In our society we encourage our children to embrace their ethnic background as long as it's, well.... ethnic (non-white). Black history month? OK. White history month? Racist. That double standard bothers me a lot.

    Look I'm not ignorant. The guy probably does have issues with skin color and I don't condone that in the least. But I feel like you judged him based on what was on his skin without knowing who he is as a person; the exact thing you assumed he does - which so disgusted you in the first place.

    I do believe that trans-racial families have a lot of hurdles they need to jump over in our society. A lot of biased and ignorance will be thrown their way and it won't be easy. But maybe, just maybe, we make it harder on ourselves then it needs to be by stressing about the slightest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adoption Advocate: Point taken. I agree with what you said. The facts are that another racial group can show pride and it is OK. White Pride, on the other hand, does have a VERY negative connotation. This is, of course, because the term is rooted in a very nasty and real history of my white race. Based on that history and connotation, which I believe the man in the pool was also aware of, I made a hasty judgment call. Knowing the emotional triggers "White Pride" causes, I think it is ignorant of him to display those words on his body.
    Still, he did not direct any personal hatred toward my son and appeared to be a good father to his daughter. Ss such, I ended my blog post with the conclusion that Carson was the best example of how to respond, not me, as he showed his kindness toward that man unconditionally.
    Being a transracial family is a learning process and that was a learning experience for me.

    ReplyDelete